eBay Valet App Makes It Easier Than Ever to Sell
By: eBay Inc. Staff
Our company’s commitment to innovation in mobile technology is driving us closer and closer to zero-effort commerce. With our new eBay Valet app pilot, we’re making it even easier to sell on our marketplace by using a device that’s always within reach – the mobile phone.
“This is going to be the fastest, most frictionless way in eBay history that someone is able to sell an item and collect money,” said Steve Yankovich, eBay’s Vice President of Innovation and New Ventures.
With the eBay Valet App, find your items' worth, send them in and valets take care of selling them for you on eBay. It is a new and simple way to sell your stuff on eBay. The eBay Valet app’s goal is to target new or less frequent sellers at just the right moment.
“This is a chance to pull in people who have never sold on eBay, period, and who maybe are not even eBayers,” Yankovich said. “It’s for people who think selling currently has too much friction. Why wouldn’t you do this?”
Here’s how it works:
- Take a picture of an item you’d like to sell with your phone.
- Use the app to send the photo to a valet.
- In as little as 30 minutes, the valet will respond within the app with a valuation range for the item and you’ll be asked if you want to sell it.
- If you have a box handy that you’d like to recycle, print a label and send it off to the valet. If not, we’ll send you a free prepaid box.
- Once the item sells – typically in a seven-day listing – your payment will show up in your PayPal account.
“Even though you’re not selling the item, there’s still an experience of selling,” Yankovich said. “You get to experience the listing but do none of the work.”
Valets will handle everything to successfully sell customers’ items, including:
- Taking professional photos
- Writing detailed listings of the items on eBay
- Answering questions from buyers
- Quickly and safely shipping items
- Sending payment via PayPal once items sell
The Valet app was designed and developed by the IIC (Israel Innovation Center), a unit within the Innovation and New Ventures organization based in Tel-Aviv and chartered with rapid prototyping for eBay Inc.
We believe the eBay Valet app holds a great deal of promise in taking mobile commerce to the next level.