PayPal’s Cashless Utopia Event Highlighted Holiday Shopping Conveniences, Discounts
By: eBay Inc. Staff
The company showcased several new mobile PayPal apps, and holiday bargains.
Have you gone cashless yet? By using PayPal for digital payments, shoppers can free themselves from the burdens of carrying cash in more ways than ever, and on Nov. 9, PayPal executives joined author, interior designer and TV personality Thom Filicia at a Cashless Utopia event in New York to demonstrate how. Filicia and a team of PayPal leaders including Sam Shrauger, the company’s Vice President of Global Strategy, presented “Seven Wonders of the Cashless World,” emphasizing ways that PayPal can streamline holiday shopping, travel and fashion buying, home and lifestyle purchases, mobile payments, student finances, and online security.
PayPal-driven mobile payments have skyrocketed from $25 million in 2008 to an expected $700 million at the end of this year, and the Cashless Utopia event drove home how PayPal’s many new mobile applications make them convenient. For example:
- With PayPal people can send money via their mobile phones with just a few clicks or if using an iPhone or Android smartphone with a “bump.”
- PayPal partner Bling Nation has teamed with the company to turn the mobile phone into a wallet. With just a tap the Bling tag can make a payment through PayPal within seconds.
The Cashless Utopia event also focused on many new conveniences for PayPal shoppers over the holidays. For example:
- Buying unique gifts from around the globe for the holidays is easy with PayPal, and paying with Reais or Shekels is no problem, as PayPal supports 24 different currencies.
- Working with many partners ranging from Barnes and Noble to ShoeBuy.com, PayPal is offering holiday shopping discounts, and, as always, complete buyer protection.
“Time-crunched shoppers are looking online or using their mobile phones to purchase that perfect bargain this holiday season,” said Amanda Pires, Senior Director at PayPal. “With more ways to shop than ever, consumers will not only be looking for deals, but also for a simplified shopping experiences with the peace of mind of knowing they can receive PayPal protection.”
Fortune covered PayPal’s Cashless Utopia initiative, and TechCrunch covered the many discounts that PayPal users can get over the holiday season. From now until Jan. 12, 2011, PayPal customers can take advantage of exclusive deals by simply using PayPal at checkout online or on their mobile phones. Specific promotions include:
Offers + Free Shipping
- Barnes & Noble.com will offer 15 percent off on all PayPal purchases, plus free shipping.
- Shoebuy.com will offer PayPal customers $10 off purchases of $80 or more, plus free shipping.
- 1800Flowers.com will offer 15 percent off, plus free shipping on all PayPal purchases.
- eBags will offer PayPal customers 25 percent off on all purchases.
- eBay select shoppers will receive $10 back from Bill Me Later on their first Bill Me Later purchases, coupled with a six-month “no payments” guarantee, so you can shop now and pay later from Nov. 1 – Dec. 31, 2010.
- MacMall will offer exclusive savings on the hottest products of the season.
- Newegg.com will offer PayPal customers exclusive savings on great products.
- UGG® Australia will offer free shipping to PayPal customers.