Use RedLaser data to gauge holiday shopping trends
By: Richard Brewer-Hay
eBay Mobile‘s barcode scanning technology, RedLaser, not only provides the ability to determine the best deals both online and locally, it also acts as a barometer for trends in shopping. This data can help stumped shoppers decide what to get for hard-to-buy friends and family members and can show eBay sellers what’s going to sell well this Holiday season.
Leveraging the RedLaser technology to predict top trending hot holiday gifts based on shoppers’ scans mobile buying history, eBay is using those mobile customer insights to deliver deals on popular items.
Top scans using RedLaser (Nov. 1 – Nov. 16)
· Apple iPad Wi-Fi + 3G
· Samsung i9100 Galaxy S II
· Apple iPhone 4
· Sony PlayStation 3
· Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3)
· Harry Potter & Deathly Hallows Part 2 (Blu-ray and DVD)
· Cars 2 (Blu-ray and DVD)
· LeapFrog LeapPad Explorer Learning Tablet
· Transformers Dark of the Moon Action Figure Ultimate Optimus Prime
· Keurig Special Edition Brewing System
The top five toys purchased on eBay from a mobile device or tablet (Nov. 1 – Nov. 14)
· Lego: The most popular Lego themes purchased via mobile in this time period were Lego Star Wars, Lego Harry Potter, and Lego Castle
· Webkinz: The most popular Webkinz purchased at the beginning of the holiday season was the Webkinz Reindeer
· Radio Controlled Cars: The most popular brand of RC Car purchased was Traxxas, followed by RC Cars from HPI Racing
· Diecast Cars: Hot Wheels was the most popular brand of diecast car purchased via eBay on a mobile device. Hot Wheels were followed by Action Cars diecast cars and Ertl diecast cars
· Cuddlee Pets Plush Pillows
eBay predicts this holiday to be the biggest mobile shopping season to date and Black Friday the largest barcode scanning day of the year. I’ll be sure to share more data with folks as I get my hands on it. Happy shopping/selling all!