The privacy of your personal information is important to us. We are committed to providing you with an experience on all our sites and services that is safe, secure, and trustworthy.
Our Privacy Principles and What They Mean
- Be transparent with the information we collect.
We want our users to understand what information eBay collects and the value they receive in return.
We aim to explain to our users the information that we collect from them and what we plan on doing with it. Where we use techniques that gather information without your direct input, we will let our customers and users know and provide them options to limit this collection.
- Allow users to easily access and update their own data
Having accurate information about our users helps create a smooth customer experience.
We will provide mechanisms where we can to give our users access to information related to their account and other interactions with eBay. We want our customers and users to be able to easily correct that information if it is wrong or out of date.
- Be a guardian for user data and user privacy
Users trust us with their personal information and expect us to protect and use it appropriately.
We operate information privacy and information security programs that incorporate leading practices to manage personal data from collection through to destruction.
- Be accountable to our privacy commitments
We take our commitment to privacy seriously and hold ourselves to a high standard.
Our program takes into account legal requirements and our commitments to our customers to deliver a trusted experience when interacting with eBay.
- Give users meaningful choices in privacy
We know that control over personal information is important.
We give our users real and realistic choices about what information they share with us and how it is used, and provide visibility into those choices and how they can be updated.
- Limit the sharing of customer information
We limit the sharing of customer information and provide our users with visibility into circumstances where we could share outside of eBay, and choices about the extent that information is shared.
- Build and maintain safe products & services
We work hard to provide buyers and sellers a safe and trustworthy place to interact.
We have implemented a number of programs to protect everyone who uses eBay websites. With millions of transactions per day, a small number don’t go as planned. We have developed complaint and escalation processes to help resolve problems in a fair and consistent manner.
Binding Corporate Rules
In addition to eBay Inc.'s privacy principles and the practices described in our privacy notice, eBay Inc. has established a set of Corporate Rules (also referred to as Binding Corporate Rules), approved by the Luxembourg National Data Commission.
These Corporate Rules are a commitment by eBay Inc. to adequately protect your personal information regardless of where the data resides, and depending upon your location, may provide additional privacy rights through your privacy regulator or a court. Translations of our User Corporate Rules are available below:
Working to Protect Your Data
- eBay’s Global Privacy Team works to protect the privacy of our user’s personal information throughout all of our businesses
- We provide advice to our businesses on the appropriate use and disclosure of personal information
- We work to develop and foster a business culture that values privacy at all of our businesses through awareness
- We provide advice and direction on privacy requirements and practices and we set expectations for our entire eBay community