A new study released today by eBay and market research firm TNS shows that consumers are starting their holiday shopping earlier than in previous years. The study notes that the number of Americans who waited until December to start their Christmas shopping declined by 7% from 2014 to 20151. Instead, respondents said they are increasingly starting their shopping in November, especially women, with 43% reporting the start of their shopping season this month2.
Besides an earlier start, the eBay-TNS study also showed that the use of mobile devices to buy items in general has increased since 20143, and the trend continues when looking at those who intend to use a mobile device for buying gifts this Christmas.
- Respondents who said they would use a mobile device this holiday shopping season increased since 20144, and is highest among the millennial age group, with 48% of 16 to 24 year-olds intending to shop via a mobile device, and 49% of 25 to 34 year-old doing the same5.
These points help illustrate how the traditional “Cyber 5 Weekend” – Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday – is shifting as shoppers look for deals earlier, and engage in anytime-anywhere shopping with their mobile devices.
“Consumers are driving an extended holiday shopping calendar, and demanding earlier access to bigger deals, brands and selection,” said Hal Lawton, senior vice president of eBay North America. “Understanding these shifts allows eBay to celebrate the traditional shopping milestones with our customers, and to also establish new ones.”
Beginning on Thanksgiving day, eBay will put a modern twist on the classic tradition of breaking the turkey wishbone with a digital “Wish Bigger Wishbone,” letting shoppers crowdsource the deals they want most, while skipping the chaos of brick-and-mortar shopping – but not the savings. From 4 p.m. EST until 10 p.m. EST on Thursday, Nov. 26, competing deals will be featured on the “Wish Bigger Wishbone” at http://www.ebay-wish-bigger.com, and shoppers will vote to break open and unlock a series of incredible deals on the season’s most coveted gifts across tech, toys, fashion and home.
According to eBay data, last year’s mobile shopping peaked at 9 p.m. EST on Thanksgiving, so the “Wish Bigger Wishbone” is timed to when and how consumers are thinking about finding the perfect gifts.
Beyond Thanksgiving, eBay will also offer deep discounts on hot items every day at eBay.com/deals. New deals will launch every hour around the clock on Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday:
Thanksgiving Deals include*:
- Up to 65% off on Ray Ban sunglasses
- More than 30% off on Lenovo Flex Touchscreen Notebook Computer
- More than 20% off Fitbit Charge HR Wireless Activity Wristband
- Timex IronMan Watch for less than $20
Black Friday Deals include*:
- Over 90% off Invicta 1091 Stainless Polyurenthane Mechanical watch
- More than 85% off Tumi Men’s Jackets
- Up to 50% off top Kitchen brands such as KitchenAid, Crock-Pot and Oster
- Nearly 40% off UGG boots
- More than 40% off Canon EOS 6D Digital SLR
- Nearly 40% off Men’s Marine Star Chronograph Black Rubber and Dial watch
Cyber Monday Deals include*:
- Up to $100 off a GoPro HERO4 Silver
- Over 80% off ICE Watch
- More than 50% off a new Hoover WindTunnel Air Bagless Upright UH70400
- Over 40% off Michael Kors Cynthia Satchel
- 40% off Hunter Original Tall Boots
For additional shopping inspiration and holiday deals on the hottest, in-demand items all season long, visit ebay.com/holidays.
-5TNS and eBay Holiday USA Report 2015
* Deal prices are subject to change, please check the item page for final price.