Launch of eBay Authenticate™ Boosts Shopper Confidence for Luxury Handbag Purchases
New authentication service verifies, lists and sells luxury handbags for 12 high-end brands on behalf of sellers. Expansion of program to include additional brands and categories planned in 2018.
Today, eBay launched eBay Authenticate™, a white glove authentication service designed to help the marketplace’s hundreds of millions active buyers shop with confidence for luxury handbags.
eBay sellers can now utilize the service to list luxury handbags and wallets valued at $500+ and receive 80% of the final selling price when selling luxury handbags from 12 high-end brands, including Balenciaga, Burberry, Céline, Chanel, Christian Dior, Fendi, Goyard, Gucci, Hermès, Louis Vuitton, Prada, and Valentino. For a limited time, the service will accept luxury handbags valued at $250+ and sellers will receive 90% of the final sale price.
“We’re making it even easier for our buyers to shop quickly and confidently for luxury handbags,” said Laura Chambers, Vice President of Consumer Selling at eBay. “With tens-of-thousands of high-end handbags currently available, eBay is primed to boost customer confidence in selling and shopping for an amazing selection of designer merchandise. We also believe our sellers will love this service, as it provides them with a white-glove service when selling luxury handbags. We’re looking forward to expanding this program to other brands and categories next year.”
To get started, sellers just follow four simple steps:
- Visit http://www.ebay.com/authentication to start listing an eligible luxury handbag, and select “Sell with eBay Authenticate.”
- Send in the handbag using a prepaid shipping label, or drop it off at a participating FedEx Office location. FedEx Office will pack and ship it to the experts for free.
- Industry experts verify the handbag’s authenticity, photograph, list, sell, and ship your handbag to its buyer.
- The seller receives 80% of the final selling price – nearly twice as much as comparable online services.1 And, for those who send in an eligible luxury handbag by January 31, 2018, they’ll receive 90% of the selling price. 2
Over the past 20 years, eBay has devoted resources to setting the standard for operating a trusted and safe marketplace. For nearly ten years, eBay’s best-in-class Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) program has allowed more than 40,000 rights owners to quickly report possible counterfeit goods. This program simply helps eBay buyers have more confidence in the wealth of inventory on the marketplace – and enable our sellers to benefit from that confidence. Additionally, eBay’s prior collaborations with the CFDA for “You Can’t Fake Fashion,” have celebrated original design and raised awareness about our commitment to authentic fashion.
About eBay Luxury Handbags
- Most popular and valuable styles3:
- Shoulder Bag
- Totes & Shoppers
- Messenger & Cross Body
eBay By the Numbers
- eBay has 171 million active buyers worldwide
- A woman’s handbag is purchased every 13 seconds on eBay in the US
- 81% of all merchandise sold on eBay is new, and our wide selection keeps growing
- 88% of items sold on eBay are Buy It Now – no bidding necessary
- 2/3 of items ship for free in the US, UK and DE
1Comparison based on handbag data from www.therealreal.com as of September 22, 2017. Fees and earnings calculated without additional promotions or discounts.
2 Receive 90 percent of the selling price when you send in an eligible luxury handbag by January 31, 2018.
3 Data from eBay.com based on the twelve eligible brands from August 2016 – September 2017.