SAN FRANCISCO--(StubHub, the world's largest ticket marketplace, has seen tremendous demand for NBA tickets since the lockout ended earlier this month. While it’s no surprise to see match-ups involving the New York Knicks, Los Angeles Clippers, and Boston Celtics are already the hottest tickets on the market, it’s still easy to find deals to cheer on some of the league’s top teams during the shortened season.)--There’s no apathy in basketball as
“Based on our data, we have a pretty complete picture of trends in fan demand and can say with certainty that the NBA is alive and well, and fans are excited to see the season get underway”
“Based on our data, we have a pretty complete picture of trends in fan demand and can say with certainty that the NBA is alive and well, and fans are excited to see the season get underway,” said Ray Elias, Chief Marketing Officer at StubHub. “What is always fascinating to watch are the fluctuations in the market. Leading indicators like traffic and ticket prices can vary wildly within the same day, based on things like trade rumors and injury reports. Ultimately, our goal is to provide fans with the best service at great value, whether that’s courtside seats or tickets under $10.”
Fans looking for a last minute affordable holiday gift can use StubHub to find NBA tickets that start at $10 or less for holiday season games including Detroit Pistons at Indiana Pacers on Dec. 26, Atlanta Hawks at New Jersey Nets on Dec. 27 or Los Angeles Clippers at San Antonio Spurs Dec. 28.
Top 10 Upcoming Games, and Top 5 Teams
StubHub’s rankings are the ultimate indicator of fan demand in NBA markets, as they represent actual tickets sold. Below is StubHub’s top-10 list of upcoming NBA games, ranked by total ticket sales through Dec. 20 on StubHub:
1. Boston Celtics at New York Knicks, Dec. 25
2. Chicago Bulls at Los Angeles Clippers, Dec. 30
3. Memphis Grizzlies at Chicago Bulls, Jan. 1
4. Boston Celtics at Miami Heat, Dec. 27
5. Detroit Pistons at Boston Celtics, Dec. 30
6. Chicago Bulls at Los Angeles Lakers, Dec. 25
7. Chicago Bulls at Golden State Warriors, Dec. 26
8. Toronto Raptors at New York Knicks, Jan. 2
9. Los Angeles Clippers at Golden State Warriors, Dec. 25
10. Miami Heat at Dallas Mavericks, Dec. 25
The top-selling team so far is the New York Knicks, but the real excitement lies in that – for the first time in StubHub’s history – demand for Los Angeles Clippers tickets has surpassed that of the Lakers by more than 40 percent, thanks to the much-anticipated arrival of Chris Paul. Each of StubHub’s top-5 teams has sold more than 11,000 tickets, an impressive number considering the majority has only been available for two weeks:
1. New York Knicks
2. Los Angeles Clippers
3. Boston Celtics
4. New Jersey Nets
5. Chicago Bulls
Safety Tips For Buying Resold Tickets
When buying NBA tickets, keep in mind the secondary market is ruled by supply and demand, and ticket prices and the popularity of teams and games may fluctuate throughout the season. With that in mind, StubHub reminds NBA fans to take extra care when buying resold tickets this season, and offers the following pointers on how to safely purchase tickets online:
1. Don't negotiate a deal on the street - The risks of buying tickets from street scalpers are many; counterfeit tickets can be prevalent and once cash is handed over, it's gone. Plus, selection is limited and pricing is not easily compared to other sellers
2. Shop online, but be smart - Make sure to buy from a company with a rock solid reputation for service. (Buyers take their chances buying from someone they meet via Craigslist.)
3. Insist on a guarantee - To be sure the tickets are received and the money used to purchase them is safe, try a site like StubHub which guarantees ticket authenticity, secure transactions and on time delivery via its own FanProtect Guarantee. Tickets are worthless if they arrive late.
4. Customer service is key - Make sure any online site has a clearly visible Customer Service number so that it is easy to contact a representative directly with any issues or assistance with the purchase.
5. Beware of below market prices - Be wary of any deals that look too good to be true. They usually are.
6. Always use a credit card - Credit cards have built in securities against fraud. Cash money and wire transfers should never be used unless the buyer knows the seller personally.
StubHub is the world's largest ticket marketplace, enabling fans to buy and sell tickets to tens of thousands of sports, concert, theater and other live entertainment events. StubHub reinvented the ticket resale market in 2000 and continues to lead it through innovation. The company's unique online marketplace, dedicated solely to tickets, provides all fans the choice to buy or sell their tickets in a safe, convenient and highly reliable environment. All transactions are processed and delivered by StubHub and backed by the company’s FanProtect Guarantee™. Company partners include the New York Yankees, University of Texas, and FedExField, along with over 60 teams in the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and NCAA, complemented with companies such as ESPN, Tickets.com, and Paciolan.