The biggest holiday shopping days of the year have arrived, and data from eBay is revealing all of this season’s hottest trends. For example, we’re providing several unique ways to visualize this holiday season’s hot gift items, including a heat map that you can interact with for custom views of eBay’s rich transactional data. Once you’re looking at the heat map, click on any state in North America and then you can sort by product category to see trending gift ideas.
Additionally, check out eBay’s most competitive deals across electronics, fashion, home and toys from top brands on eBay’s Holiday Hub.
“Throughout the Cyber 5 weekend, shoppers have been scooping up some great deals on eBay – especially from their mobile devices,” said Hal Lawton, SVP North America, eBay Marketplaces. “In fact, roughly half of women’s clothing purchased on Cyber Monday took place from a mobile device. Generally, we know that people are finding it more and more difficult to find that perfect gift for their friends and family, so we’ll continue to be focused on helping them uncover great deals among our best selection of inventory throughout the coming days and weeks of the holiday season.”
Based on our data for Black Friday, Nov. 25, we provided a summary of shopping trends in this post. Now, we have fresh data on the hottest items sold on Cyber Monday. Here are our Cyber Monday findings:
Peak Shopping Time on Cyber Monday in the U.S.
- 12:00 pm PST was the peak shopping time on Desktop
- 7:00 pm PST was the peak shopping time on mobile and overall
What was Hot on Cyber Monday in the U.S.
- A fragrance was sold every 2 seconds
- A cell phone was sold every 2 seconds
- A sports trading card was sold every 2 seconds
- A Watch was sold every 3 seconds
- A Laptop was sold every 4 seconds
- A Pokemon item was sold every 4 seconds
- An iPhone was sold every 5 seconds
- A LEGO item was sold every 5 seconds
- A Fitbit was sold every 12 seconds
- A Apple Watch sold every 12 seconds
- A Speak Out Board Game was sold every 15 seconds
- A Drone was sold every 16 seconds
- A Barbie item was sold every 18 seconds
- A TV was sold every 25 seconds
- A Hatchimal was sold every 30 seconds
What Sold on Mobile Platforms on Cyber Monday in the U.S.
- Approx. half of women’s clothing was purchased on a mobile platform
- A women’s shoe was sold every 5 seconds
- A men’s shoe was sold every 5 seconds
- A cell phone was sold every 6 seconds
- An action figure was sold every 10 seconds
- More than 1,000 smartphones were sold on a mobile platform between 6:00pm and 7:00pm PST
Most Popular Items in the U.S.
eBay data shows what some of the hottest selling goods are in the U.S., specifically in the categories of toys, fashion and electronics. The top selling items on eBay this Cyber Monday, Nov 28th, included:
Top 5 selling toys
- Kids Ride On Motorcycle 6V Toy, 3 Wheel Power Bicycle
- Speak Out Mouthpiece Board Game
- Classic Train Set For Kids With Music and Lights
- Magic Tracks The Amazing Racetrack that Can Bend, Flex Glow 11Ft
- 4CH 6-Axis FPV RC Drone Quadcopter Wifi Camera Real Time Video
Top 5 selling fashion items
- Nautica Blue or Nautica Classic 3.4 oz EDT Cologne for Men
- Fila Men's Edgewater Boots
- 2.25 Ct Round Purple Amethyst 925 Silver Pendant and Earrings Set 18" Chain
- Nicole Miller Fleece Lined Footless Tights
- Vera Bradley Factory Exclusive Large Duffel Bag
Top 5 selling electronics
- Microsoft Xbox One 500GBName Your Game Bundle + Minecraft
- Apple MacBook Air 13.3" LED - Intel Core i5 - 8GB RAM - 128GB Storage
- GoPro HERO 3+ Silver Edition 10.0 MP
- Google Chromecast (2015) Digital HD Media Streamer
- Sony PlayStation 4 Slim Launch Edition Black Console
Top 5 Conversation Topics on eBay ShopBot
- Holiday Gift
Giving Tuesday is now in its fifth official year and consumers’ desire to give back in their holiday shopping is stronger than ever - nearly two-thirds of Americans (72%) are more excited to give someone a gift if it benefits charity.* In 2015, $176 was raised every minute on eBay globally, on average. This year, we are delivering the widest selection of gifts that support nonprofits through eBay’s Giving Tuesday Charity Shop, a new way to give in-kind donations through Gifts That Give Back and by leveraging eBay’s ShopBot technology for good - eBay will donate $5 to nonprofit Kiva (up to $50,000) for every item purchased through the eBay ShopBot on Giving Tuesday.
*The eBay Survey was conducted by Wakefield Research (www.wakefieldresearch.com) among 1,000 nationally representative U.S. adults ages 18+, between October 7th and October 13th, 2016.