eBay Launches the "Summer of Choice" Letting Americans Vote for Their Favorite Mobile Deals All Season Long
New national poll reveals what shoppers want and how they prefer to shop.
This summer, red states and blue states unite in their affinity for mobile shopping, and finding great deals on incredible summer must-haves trumps all else. With this in mind, today eBay has announced it is launching “Summer of Choice,” giving Americans the freedom to vote on twitter.com/eBay for the seasonal items they want most and delivering exclusive deals created specifically for mobile. eBay will release crowd-sourced mobile deals on fashion, tech and home items from in-demand brands, with free shipping – something every American can rally behind.
The Popular Vote
Beginning on June 24, eBay invites shoppers to head to twitter.com/eBay to vote on their favorite “Summer of Choice” mobile deals. The first set of dueling deals will feature a Char-Broil Classic Grill at 70 percent off versus a Nutri Ninja Auto-iQ Blender at 50 percent off. The polls will be open for three days, and the winning item will featured within the eBay app for iOS and Android for 48-hours for purchase.
The polls will include summer essentials for favorite occasions and popular milestones:
- The 4th of July: Voting begins on June 24; Deal released on June 27
- Summer Fun: Voting begins on July 18; Deal released on July 21
- Olympics: Voting begins on August 8; Deal released on August 11
- Labor Day: Voting begins on August 22; Deal released on August 25
The Right to Shop
The “Summer of Choice” coincides with eBay’s latest app update, making it even easier to buy, sell and browse millions of items on the Marketplace. “We know that Americans from coast to coast want choice – the right items at the right price – along with a quick and simple shopping experience,” said Hal Lawton, SVP of eBay North America. “Our new mobile app offers the most seamless way to browse and buy millions of items. And, all summer long, eBay is letting shoppers decide the deals that are right for them – delivering in-demand merchandise at extraordinary value, directly to their fingertips.”
Download the eBay app at mobile.ebay.com to access the latest features and shop the “Summer of Choice” mobile deals within the app. Stay tuned for additional app updates throughout the summer as eBay releases more enhancements to the shopping experience.
What America Wants1
- The economy is top of mind, and getting a good deal – and access to a broad selection of items with free shipping – is most important for the majority of respondents.
- Nearly three in five Americans plan to shop more on their mobile devices this summer.
- More than 85% of Americans say shopping on a smartphone or tablet is a convenient and quick way to make purchases and 81% like the choices it gives them.
eBay by the Numbers
- eBay has 162 million active buyers
- Virtually all items are backed by eBay Money Back Guarantee
- 79% of merchandise sold on eBay is new
- 900 million listings at any given time
- The majority (63%) of items on eBay ship for free (reflects U.S, UK and DE)
eBay Mobile by the Numbers
- 314 million eBay Inc. app downloads across the globe
- 9.5 million new listings added via mobile per week
- Of the app users in the U.S., approximately 42% use Android, 50% use our iOS and 8% use both apps**
- Android users spend the most on the P&A, Fashion and Electronics categories; iOS users spend more Fashion and Electronics categories**
**Data is sampled from 5/1/2015 – 4/30/2016 for eBay U.S.
About the Survey1
The eBay Summer Mobile Shopping Survey was conducted by Kelton Global Research between April 21and April 28, 2016 among a sample of 5,239 Americans ages 18+. The chances are 95 in 100 that a survey result does not vary, plus or minus, by more than 1.4 percentage points from the result that would be obtained if interviews had been conducted with all persons in the universe represented by the sample. For more information, visit www.keltonglobal.com.