Today, eBay announces the launch of The ’85 Shop: a new retail pop-up store opening in Chicago that honors the birth of the Air Jordan 1 and its rise to dominance in the sneaker wars of the 1980s. Widely considered “the sneaker that started it all,” the origin story of the Air Jordan 1 — told in the just-released film “Air” — is celebrated in eBay’s ‘85 Shop. The shop features a complete collection of original Air Jordan 1s in every colorway and a never-before-released Air Jordan 1 sample, alongside other iconic sneakers of the era like the Puma Clyde and Adidas Forum.
“The Air Jordan 1 changed the shoe game forever and ushered in the modern era of sneaker culture,” said Garry Thaniel, Global GM of Sneakers at eBay. “The ’85 Shop gives the community the chance to celebrate one of the most iconic and enduring sneakers ever created, and even own a piece of history.”
The ’85 Shop was curated in partnership with several of eBay’s top sneaker sellers. Jordan Geller of ShoeZeum provided many of the shoes and memorabilia that were featured in the film, while SoleStage curated an offering of modern Air Jordan 1s — one of the top selling sneakers on eBay — in retro colorways, as well as reissues of classic basketball sneakers.
Sneaker enthusiasts and collectors are invited to visit The ’85 Shop in person and online at eBay.com, to shop:
- A complete collection of original 1985 Air Jordan 1s in every colorway
- A mint-condition 1985 Air Jordan 1 “Chicago” sample
- Original Nike sneakers from the period used as props in the film “Air”
- Vintage, game-worn pairs, including the Puma Clyde and Adidas Forum High
- Coveted retro styles from Jordan Brand, Nike, Adidas and Converse
The ’85 Shop & Auction Details
Shoppers can visit The ’85 Shop (1045 W Fulton Market in Chicago) on April 6 and April 7, 11 am to 6pm CT.
The 10-day online auction will commence on April 5 at 11am CT at ebay.com/the85shop.
Sellers @shoezeum and @solestage will also go live on eBay from the store starting at 8pm CT on April 6, giving enthusiasts and collectors everywhere the chance to shop the collection.
For more information on the auction and The ’85 Shop, follow @ebaysneakers on Instagram and Twitter.
About eBay Sneakers
- The original resale marketplace, eBay is the ultimate destination to buy and sell sneakers, including pre-worn and vintage Air Jordan 1s and other 80s-era kicks.
- In 2022, sneakerheads searched for Air Jordan 1s over 100,000 times a day.
- With trusted services like Authenticity Guarantee, low seller fees, eBay 3D true view and money back guarantee, eBay gives shoppers confidence with every sneaker purchase.
- Authenticity Guarantee has significantly changed the way people buy and sell sneakers on eBay, bringing an added layer of trust to every transaction. Since its launch, more than 4 million sneakers have been authenticated globally.
eBay Inc. (Nasdaq: EBAY) is a global commerce leader that connects millions of buyers and sellers in more than 190 markets around the world. We exist to enable economic opportunity for individuals, entrepreneurs, businesses and organizations of all sizes. Founded in 1995 in San Jose, California, eBay is one of the world's largest and most vibrant marketplaces for discovering great value and unique selection. In 2022, eBay enabled nearly $74 billion of gross merchandise volume. For more information about the company and its global portfolio of online brands, visit www.ebayinc.com.