Reports out of Nepal continue to worsen as the country comes to grips with the death and devastation caused by the powerful 7.8 magnitude earthquake on Saturday April 25. Almost 4,000 people have died in Nepal, India and China, and that number is expected to climb as governmental agencies and residents dig through the piles of rubble where homes once stood.
PayPal and eBay are working to facilitate donations for the organizations that are responding to the crisis and encourage our community to give.
- PayPal’s U.S. homepage features a donationappeal with twenty charity partners working in the region. One hundred percent of the donations will be delivered to the intended charity through PayPal Giving Fund.
- PayPal will give back transaction fees on donations from April 25 to May 26, 2015 to any qualifying U.S. 501(c)(3) organization involved in the relief and recovery effort.
- Appeals are also being established in Canada, Australia, Singapore, the UK and Brazil to help users support responding charities in their local market.
- eBay’s Giving Works page in the U.S. features the charity partners we are working with The page displays products whose sellers will donate a portion of the final sale price (10 percent to 100 percent, as designated by the seller) to an organization working in the affected areas. eBay will credit seller fees in proportion to the amount the seller donates per completed transaction, with 100 percent of proceeds delivered to designated nonprofits.
- eBay is also featuring the American Red Cross at checkout to allow buyers to easily donate to relief efforts.
- eBay for Charity in the U.K. has partnered with the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC), a coalition of leading UK aid agencies, to launch a customer appeal for donations to help those affected. The appeal page will be featured on the eBay.co.uk homepage and supported through advertising banners around the site.
Buyers and sellers can easily:
- Make an instant donation
- Buy an item supporting the appeal
- List an item for sale with a donation to the DEC
eBay U.K. is also featuring DEC in eBay checkout so buyers can easily donate to the appeal at the point of purchase.
In addition, we’re encouraging our employees around the world to apply for donation matching from the eBay Foundation on $25+ donations made to eligible nonprofits, up to $2,500 a year.
Fears of additional aftershocks are weighing on the region as international relief organizations begin deploying resources against a massive need for assistance. Please join us in helping them provide much needed relief. Together, we can have enormous impact.