Retail Revival: Looking Back, Moving Forward
By: Chris Librie, Senior Director, Global Impact and Giving
Learn about the progress eBay’s Retail Revival sellers are making and get a sneak peek of our plans for 2019.
December is always a good time to reflect on the accomplishments of the past year. As we near the end of Retail Revival’s first year, we are particularly eager to take a look back at how far we’ve come.
In launching this effort, we brought our working concept to life: working hand-in-hand with small, scrappy cities in the US and the UK to revitalize their retail communities by expanding the reach of local small businesses. We began in the city of Akron, Ohio, where we launched a comprehensive training and support program to enable business growth.
Thrilled by the ensuing energy and the progress made by these entrepreneurs, we decided to further expand Retail Revival’s reach and impact. We launched the program in Lansing, Michigan in September, followed by Wolverhampton, England in November.
Each of the three city programs is now thriving and producing very promising results:
- Of the 182 participating Retail Revival sellers, 60% were new to eBay
- Collectively, Retail Revival sellers have made 47,000+ sales
- Approximately 10% of the combined US city GMV has come from international sales, representing buyers from over 70 countries from Algeria to Vietnam
- Sellers in Akron with previous eBay experience have seen their GMV grow 78% YoY as a result of the top-notch coaching and training they’ve received
- Lansing and Wolverhampton experienced sellers are also performing well, with current GMV growth at 14% and 33%, respectively
- Two Akron Retail Revival sellers, Five Blessings and Seventh Floor Clothing, opened brick-and-mortar locations this year — a tangible sign of growth, in part supported by their sales on eBay
These numbers add up to a big year for Retail Revival, and we’re just getting started. Plans are actively underway for at least three more cities in 2019 – one of which will be outside the US.
If you’re looking to make a big impact of your own this holiday season by shopping from a small business, consider snagging cute holiday cards from Five Blessings, a stylish backpack from Goodstart Jones, vinyl record art from Records Redone or a cool graphic tee from The Social Dept. There truly is something for everyone as you browse the incredible selection of products on ebay.com/RetailRevival.