- eBay unveils its top toys and trends for Christmas with Little Live Pets Gotta Go Flamingo™ named this year’s hottest buy
- COVID-19 is a factor influencing parents’ gift buying this Christmas
- eBay has 20 per cent off thousands of this year’s hottest toys
Tuesday 27 October 2020: It’s not just fun and games for kids this Christmas as more than half of Aussie parents (56 per cent¹) are expected to buy their children toys they secretly want to play with according to new research by Australia’s number one shopping site² ebay.com.au with dad the main culprit (62 per cent).
On top of being swayed by their own interests, the impact of COVID-19 is another factor affecting parents’ Christmas gifting decisions. Following months of entertaining children at home, toys that offer longevity (47 per cent) and affordability (50 per cent) are set to be favourites for parents this year which is why Baby Alive: Baby Grows Up and Little Live Pets Scruff-a-Luvs™ Secret Scents have made it on to the top toys list.
eBay Australia’s Sophie Onikul said, “It’s no surprise affordability is a key factor influencing presents under the Christmas tree this year with more than a third (37 per cent) of parents admitting they plan to spend less on gifts due to COVID-19.
“Christmas is an expensive time – parents are predicted to spend an average of $184³ on gifts per child. It’s been a tough year which is why eBay’s helping ease the financial pressure by offering great deals across a range of must-have gifts to suit different budgets. The kids might have to challenge dad to get a look-in though!”
Using shopper data and identifying purchasing habits through research, eBay’s toy experts have identified three trends for Christmas:
1. Gifts that keep giving: Toys that require nurturing and encourage patience are in demand as almost half (42 per cent) of parents believe their children will lose interest in their Christmas gifts within a month. eBay research also reveals 21 per cent of parents have found their child’s attention span has shortened due to the impacts of COVID-19. That’s why eBay’s hottest toy of 2020 is the Little Live Pets Gotta Go Flamingo™ that not only sings, dances and eats but also comes equipped with a toilet for when it has “gotta go”!
2. Diversity: Four in five (83 per cent) parents think it’s important toys encourage diversity and inclusion. This year eBay expects the Barbie® Fashionistas™ Dolls range - which features dolls with physical disabilities, different skin tones, hairstyles and body types - to be popular. Since June, eBay has already seen this trend grow with a 173 per cent rise⁶ in sales of Barbie dolls with petite, curvy or tall attributes.
3. Back to basics:
● Building toys: Construction and brick toys are set to top toy lists (41 per cent) as families look for toys that involve spending time together (26 per cent) and encourage mindfulness and calm (20 per cent). Classic LEGO® is in huge demand spurred by the popularity of TV series LEGO® Masters inspiring both kids and adults to get creative. The LEGO® Super Mario™ Adventures with Mario Starter Course 71360 and the LEGO® DOTS™ Jewellery Box 41915 are expected to be big under the tree this Christmas.
● Board games: Following their success of helping beat boredom during lockdown, 31 per cent of parents are likely to buy their children a board game for Christmas. Popular contenders include Operation Pet Scan - a twist on the original version of Operation - that can be enjoyed by the whole family.
● Puzzles : Slotting into wish lists this Christmas are puzzles with a third (33 per cent) of parents considering this budget-friendly option. Following the nationwide lockdown earlier this year, eBay saw a 787 per cent⁴ increase in puzzle sales. The Clementoni Mystic Tigers 1,000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle is eBay’s top puzzle pick for all the family.
● Arts and crafts: Activities that encourage mindfulness and creativity have seen arts and crafts return to the top toy list with sales growing by 128 per cent⁵ year-on-year during lockdown. eBay expects Play-Doh® Kitchen Creations Drizzy Ice Cream Playset to be a big hit with youngsters this festive season.
“Last year we saw a trend for educational STEM toys top the charts, however as the boundaries between home and school life have blurred, this category is not as popular for Christmas 2020.
“Classics such as building toys, arts and crafts, board games and puzzles are still sought-after following a surge during lockdown. These are great value for money and offer families a way to bond away from screens.” added Onikul.
To help shoppers get organised for Christmas eBay will be offering 20 per cent off across thousands of this year’s hottest toys as well as amazing eBay Plus exclusive deals throughout the festive season from 10am, Wednesday 28 October⁷.
eBay Plus is a shopping membership that unlocks free express metro delivery⁸, free returns and huge savings amongst other benefits for just $49 annually. New members can sign up for a free eBay Plus 30-day-trial here⁹.
Shoppers can find all the top toys at ebay.com.au/toys. #ChristmasWitheBay
eBay’s top toys of 2020:
GIFTS THAT KEEP ON GIVING
Little Live Pets Gotta Go Flamingo™
FurReal Friends Mama Josie the Kangaroo
Baby Alive: Baby Grows Up
My Fairy Garden Fairy Nature Garden
Little Live Pets Scruff-a-Luv™ Secret Scents
BACK TO BASICS
Operation Pet Scan
Clementoni Mystic Tigers High Quality Collection 1,000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle
LEGO® Super Mario™ Adventures with Mario Starter Course 71360
Play-Doh ® Kitchen Creations Drizzy Ice Cream Playset
LEGO® DOTS™ Jewellery Box 41915
Barbie ® Fashionistas ™ Doll Assorted
Pre Order Kiya Indigenous Doll
My Shadow is Pink by Scott Stuart
You and Me and Everybody Else by Marcos Farina
The Boy Who Steals Houses by C.G. Drews
TECH AND GAMING
Vtech ® Kidizoom ® Studio
Nintendo Switch™ Console Neon
Really R.A.D Robots Fartbro™
Pre Order - Star Wars: The Mandalorian The Child (Baby Yoda) Animatronic Figure
Bluey Lean N Glide Tri Scooter
- ENDS -
Notes to editors
Download product imagery here for all eBay’s top toys for Christmas 2020.
For more information, please contact:
Catherine Tomlinson, Pulse
T: 0423 799 729 | E: Catherine.Tomlinson@wearepulse.com.au
Natasha Moate, Pulse
T: 0435 524 039 | E: Natasha.Moate@wearepulse.com.au
About eBay Marketplaces: eBay is one of the world’s largest online marketplaces, connecting people with the things they need and love virtually anytime, anywhere. eBay has 182-million active buyers globally and more than 1.5-billion live individual and merchant listings at any given time. Available in 190 markets, eBay delivers a personalised shopping experience and seamless access to inventory from down the street and around the world. Tailored shopping experiences customise buying and selling; and eBay provides variety and choice for sellers by enabling them to offer goods through online, mobile and local channels to consumers around the world. For more information, visit ebayinc.com.
¹ Lonergan research amongst 1,045 Australians parents with children aged 0-12 years old, commissioned by eBay Australia, 1-12 September 2020
² Similarweb 2020
³ Longeran research derived from 0-4 years: 2020 average spend per child $162.74 x 1.5673 million* 0-4 years in the popn.=$255.06 million and 5-12 years: average spend per child $196.31 x 2.5747 million* 5-12 years in the popn.=$505.45 million. In total = $760.51 million. Population source ABS population estimates 2019
⁴ eBay internal shopper data: Sales of puzzles between Week 12 to Week 17 - 2019 vs 2020
⁵ eBay internal shopper data: Sales of hobbies and crafts items in April - 2019 vs 2020
⁶ eBay internal shopper data: Sales of Tall, Petite and Curvy Barbie Dolls between January-September 2020
⁷ 10am AEDT 28 October for limited time only. Select items only, $300 max discount, 3 transactions per person, 10 items per
transaction. T&Cs apply
⁸ Free express metro delivery excls WA, NT & TAS. eBay Plus T&Cs apply
⁹ $49 annual fee applies post trial. For new members only. eBay Plus T&Cs apply