‘eBay selling an iPhone product nearly every second in the run up to the anniversary’
This month marks the iPhone’s 10th anniversary (29 June) and to celebrate eBay.co.uk has collated 10 key stats to show how Brits shop when it comes to the iconic smartphone.
The online marketplace has revealed it’s sold an iPhone product nearly every second in the last three months, and surprisingly it’s the iPhone 5C - which came out in 2013 – that takes the crown as the most popular iPhone. The trusty model has seen more than 35 million searches in the past three years – that’s 22 every minute!
10 stats on the iPhone from eBay.co.uk:
- Since the launch of the iPhone in 2007, sales of the product have jumped by 5000% with eBay seeing 16,000 searches in that first year – compared to 835,000 in 2016
- In 2011, the year Snapchat was first released, the online marketplace saw a massive increase in demand for iPhone accessories. Selfie sticks proved particularly popular as Brits were sick of straining to get the right angle, with searches increasing from 8 in 2010 to a huge 37,000 in 2011
- In the last three years Brits have spent more than 830 million minutes searching for the perfect iPhone on eBay, with an average search time of 45 minutes and more than 17 million searches in total
- When it comes to the most popular iPhone model, the 5c takes the crown – with more than 35 million searches in the past three years, followed by the iPhone 6 model
- And it seems Britain is a nation of bargain hunters, with Black Friday proving the peak day to bag an iPhone 6 with sales reaching 283,000
- The average price an iPhone will go for on eBay is £235 and the average Brit will spend £23 on iPhone accessories per year, including; selfie sticks, headphones, chargers and cases
- Sunday is the most popular day for Brits to browse for iPhone models and accessories – specifically between 9pm – 11pm
- In the last year Brits have spent more than 730 million minutes on site searching for the perfect iPhone accessories – that’s enough time to watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy one million times
- Over the same time period, more than 530 million people have used an iPhone to shop on eBay.co.uk – that’s more than the population of Russia and America combined
- Today, there are 7 million iPhone related products on site with more than 5 million items sold in the last three months – that’s nearly one every second
Murray Lambell, senior director, UK trading at eBay says, “Over the years we have seen the popularity of this iconic piece of tech grow exponentially, from customers checking the sale price they’d get for their old phone as new versions are released to snapping up the huge selection of unlocked, new products available.
“Whether it’s searching for the latest smartphone or accessorising for success with the incredible assortment of everything from portable chargers to fish eye lenses on site – eBay.co.uk is the one stop shop for iPhones and accessories this anniversary.”
For a great selection of iPhones and accessories visit: http://www.ebay.co.uk
NOTES TO EDITORS
eBay Inc. (NASDAQ: EBAY) is a global commerce leader including the Marketplace, StubHub and Classifieds platforms. Collectively, we connect millions of buyers and sellers around the world, empowering people and creating opportunity through Connected Commerce. Founded in 1995 in San Jose, Calif., eBay is one of the world's largest and most vibrant marketplaces for discovering great value and unique selection. In 2016, eBay enabled $84 billion of gross merchandise volume.