Today eBay has announced pre-loved fashion will be returning to our screens, as the OG marketplace for second-hand fashion partners with Love Island for the third time.
After coupling up with the nation’s hottest series for the previous two seasons, eBay is back to continue its fight against fast fashion by stocking this summer's wardrobe with pre-loved gems to inspire a more conscious way of shopping. And for the first time, the marketplace is calling on the public to list their pre-loved items for the chance to get them turning Islanders heads in the villa.
Amy Bannerman, who now takes an in-house role as eBay’s Pre-loved Style Director, will once again be sourcing fashion from eBay to style series 10’s Islanders in pre-loved. In search of another iconic statement piece similar to the yellow Versace co-ord, originally bought by Maria Semenova in the 90s and then worn by Tasha Ghouri, Olivia Hawkins and Ellie Spence - for the first-time, Amy and eBay are calling on you to get involved and help by listing your pre-loved gems!
Just put your item up for sale on eBay share a picture of what you’re selling on social using the hashtag #MyLoveIslandListing by Wednesday 31st May.*
Amy Bannerman, eBay’s Pre-loved Style Director said: “We need you! One of my favourite things about pre-loved
fashion is the story behind each piece and I love being able to continue each piece’s lifecycle. In particular, we’re on the hunt for brands including Rat and Boa, House of CB and Arne. Co-ords are key, whether it’s short sleeve shirts and shorts for the guys or maxi skirts and corset tops for the girls. We also know the Islanders like to show a little skin, so please do dig out those high-slit skirts and cut-out dresses that although might no longer be right for you, would be perfect for the new Islanders. Simply head to eBay and sell me your pre-loved item, for the chance for it to end up in the villa wardrobe!”
Alongside pre-loved clothes, a selection of pre-loved, authenticated sneakers and garments from eBay’s Imperfects range will also be heading to the villa wardrobe.*
Now Amy is spilling the tea on how she gets the villa pre-loved ready in five key steps:
- Eat, sleep, rewear, repeat - making the most of the existing wardrobe, Amy has looked back through the clothes from series eight and nine to select the items which are rewear ready. Keep an eye out for those hero items making a comeback.
- eBay, eBay, eBay - once the gaps in the current wardrobe became clearer, Amy and her team headed straight to the online marketplace, with their eyes peeled for the next pre-loved gem. Amy recommends going in with a plan and setting up brand alerts for her favourite brands so she never misses a good deal.
- Meet the Islanders - to tailor the wardrobe to the personal styles and preferences of the new Islander line-up, Amy then meets with them, getting to know them and their tastes a little better.
- Gift boxes - kick starting each of their pre-loved journeys, Amy and eBay have gifted each Islander with a box of specially chosen and tailored pre-loved pieces, helping give those that might not yet be familiar with second hand see that it really doesn’t mean second best, and giving them some staple pieces to take into the villa that they can wear all series long.
- Keeping things fresh - Amy and her team will then continue to source throughout the series, consciously shopping with the Islanders tastes and series activities in mind, ensuring they have the perfect pre-loved fit for every occasion. For example, prom night outfits aren’t sourced until much later when Amy has a sense of each of the finalists style preferences.
Mirroring the move away from fast fashion that people are seeing on the screen, viewers at home have followed suit with eBay UK reporting over 1400% more searches ‘pre-loved fashion’ on the marketplace during series nine, compared to series eight, as well as a 24% increase in new circular businesses joining the online marketplace so far in 2023.
New research also found that one pre-loved item has been sold on the platform every second over the last year, with pre-loved fashion listings being up by almost 20% YoY since the Love Island partnership launched - demonstrating the impact the partnership continues to have on consumer shopping behaviours.
Kirsty Keoghan, Global GM of Fashion at eBay said: “Our Love Island partnership has been loved by the Islanders and the public alike and best of all it continues to inspire people to shop pre-loved first - which is what this partnership is all about. We are so excited to be back for an even bigger and better summer of pre-loved and are encouraging fans to get selling over the next two weeks, your items might just end up on your TV screen very soon!”
Mike Spencer, Creative Director of Love Island at Lifted Entertainment said: “We are thrilled to be working even more closely with eBay this year as our headline sponsor. As a production company we have been working up new ways of seeing pre-loved fashion on screen and the ideas behind conscious ways of shopping. This series, we will see a new way of demonstrating the pre-loved clothing cycle, along with the other ways in which we continue to grow as a more 'thoughtful' production. Bring on the summer!”
Notes to Editors
*For a chance to get your item into the pre-loved villa wardrobe, follow these simple steps:
List your item on eBay by Wednesday 31st May 2023 and
Follow @eBayUK Instagram page
Upload a picture to your Instagram grid and use #MyLoveIslandListing.
Amy will be picking her faves on Friday, 2nd June 2023
eBay has revealed that searches for ‘pre-loved fashion’ on the marketplace increased by more than 1400% in series 9, compared to series 8
eBay UK saw 1 preloved item being sold every second on eBay over the last year
eBay UK has seen a 24% uplift of circular businesses joining the platform so far in 2023
eBay UK has seen an almost 20% increase in pre-loved fashion listings YOY since the Love Island partnership launched