eBay announced this week that it will make a new mobile application - eBay Mobile - available for iPhone and iPod Touch users in Europe. The new free applications give Apple users the freedom to bid, buy and pay for items directly from their mobile devices. Currently available in the U.S., eBay Mobile is among the most popular choice in its category in iTunes App Store and averages thousands of downloads per day.
According to company data, eBay’s mobile shoppers spend more per person than the average eBay user, place the winning bid more often than other buyers, and, as a group, are purchasing hundreds of thousands of items each month through their mobile phones.
The eBay Mobile application features:
- Immediate access to search and “My eBay at a glance” so buyers and sellers can stay on top of their listings
- Ability to view activity on watched items
- A search of all eBay auction style and fixed-price listings. A refine button allows user to narrow a search by category, price or listing type
- Read the seller’s complete description as it was meant to be viewed
- A filmstrip viewer that makes use of multi-touch to view and zoom in on listing photos
- Personalisation with the user’s My World avatar
“The eBay application on iPhone has outstripped our expectations in terms of activity and enthusiasm from our U.S. users,” says Matt Priddle, eBay Mobile. “With the new international version, millions more iPhone and iPod Touch users can go anywhere and stay connected to eBay without a computer in sight.”