The ecommerce site has attracted over 30 signature brands including Superdry, Karen Millen, Ted Baker and Office to sell via the Fashion Outlet since April – with more high street names set to join the site in the coming weeks.
eBay is now aiming to win over consumers through the launch of a high profile autumn advertising campaign appearing in a range of market-leading glossy women’s magazines and prominent outdoor advertising sites.
From Tuesday 31st September, double page, glossy, print ads will appear in fashion titles, including Vogue OK!, Look, Grazia, Stylist, Elle and Red, while outdoor ads will appear on buses, billboards and in stations up and down the country from October.
The adverts will showcase the products and savings fashionistas and bargain hunters could make from purchasing big brand, high street fashion from eBay. Crucially the ads reveal that the majority of products are available are up to 70 per cent less than that found on the high street.
eBay predicts there is huge potential for growth in the online fashion market, as consumers seek out greater choice and value. It is transforming the fashion market, by providing consumers with direct access to a wider range of well-known, high end brands and at lower prices than are currently available anywhere else.
Commenting on the new advertising Angus McCarey, Director of eBay Enterprise said:
“The Fashion Outlet is our fastest growing sales channel and this advertising assault reflects our growing position as a leading fashion destination. There is huge potential for growth in the online fashion market, as consumers seek out greater choice and value.
“We know that consumers are increasingly looking for a range of high quality high street goods at low prices, and eBay’s Fashion Outlet provides them with the ability to purchase goods from the brands they love, with up to 70 per cent off.
“Over the last year, we have seen a 25 per cent increase in the number of fashion-savvy shoppers who are choosing to shop online at eBay instead of the high street, as we are able to provide direct access to a wider range of well-known, high end brands and at lower prices than are currently available anywhere else.”
eBay is seeking is to cement the importance of fashion on the site through its new drive into the market. Fashion is one of eBay’s most successful categories with over 2.3 million visitors each month to this category alone. The Fashion Outlet has generated sales of around £4million revenue for the brands who sell through the site in just three months.
Brian McCluskey, Office CEO comments:
“Office’s online business model has been one of the big success stories of the last four years and eBay’s global presence has played a major role in helping us to achieve our ecommerce ambitions and reach a whole new customer base”
Notes to editor
- Founded in 1999, eBay.co.uk is the UK’s number 1 e-commerce site, providing a platform for over 17m unique visitors per month (Nielsen / Netratings, January 2010) to buy and sell new, unique and used items in a fun and easy way.
- No longer simply an online auction house, eBay currently has 17 million live listings on the UK site, with fixed price goods accounting for the majority (56%) of items sold globally.
- 160,000 registered businesses and 24 high-street retailers use eBay.co.uk to reach the UK’s largest online shopping audience.
- eBay supports buyers and sellers by promoting the best value deals through Daily Deals, and the eBay Outlet sells products from well known brands at up to 70% off the recommended retail price. Follow www.twitter.com/eBay_life4less for alerts to great deals on eBay and beyond.
- eBay campaigns on the issues affecting businesses in a number of ways, including the eBay Online Business Index and consumer choice campaigns as featured on http://consumerchoice.eu/uk/
- eBay.co.uk is owned by eBay Inc, which has expanded to include some of the strongest brands in the world, including eBay, PayPal, StubHub, Shopping.com, and others.
About the eBay Fashion Outlet:
eBay’s Fashion Outlet allows consumers to:
- Buy direct from the brands and retailers they love
- Find amazing discounts on branded items – up to 70% off
- Snap up bargains instantly at a lower fixed price
- Be presented with even more choice and access to a variety of online shopping options.
eBay UK stats – Fashion category: clothes, shoes and accessories
· In this category, eBay UK has more than 765,000 sellers, of which over 44,000 are businesses
· In May to July 2010, 4.6 million shoppers bought fashion items
· 13,000,000 items of women’s clothing were sold on eBay UK in 2009
· 5,000,000 items of men’s clothing were sold on eBay UK in 2009
· 3,000,000 pairs of women’s shoes were sold on eBay UK in 2009
· 1,000,000 women’s bags were sold on eBay UK in 2009
Every day (2009 figures):
· 17,003 items of women’s clothing were sold on eBay UK each day
· 9,546 pairs of women’s shoes were sold on eBay UK each day
· 6,453 items of men’s clothing were sold on eBay UK each day
· 5,547 t-shirts and tops were sold on eBay UK each day
· 4,503 dresses were sold on eBay UK each day
4,002 women’s bags were sold on eBay UK each day