- Hamleys’ full range of toys and games to be sold on the eBay marketplace, reaching 28 million UK customers
- Set to give a further boost to eBay’s toys category, which during Black Friday saw a 58% rise in sales vs last year
Hamleys, The Finest Toy Shop in the World, is today announcing the launch of its first eBay shop, as part of the company’s plans to expand their online presence.
Founded in 1760, Hamleys has become famous worldwide for its physical stores, captivating experiences and eye-catching shop windows, in particular its iconic Regent Street shop which has been a huge draw for locals and international tourists alike.
From today, eBay’s 28million UK customers will be able to shop the full range of Hamleys’ toys and games. Over 1,600 product lines will feature on eBay, including its top 10 toys for Christmas 2020 and its Hamleys own-label range of toys, and the shop has an offer of up to 40% off until 22 December.
The overall toys category on eBay has seen sales grow dramatically in the past year, with both new and retro toys proving popular. During Black Friday, sales for toys were up 58% compared to the previous year. Superheroes and Star Wars dominated the most popular purchases, with Star Wars and Marvel Avengers Lego sets among the most popular - 16 superhero themed items were bought every hour over the Black Friday period on eBay UK.*
The addition of Hamleys will give a further boost to eBay’s growing toys offering, with The Entertainer and Early Learning Centre also recently joining eBay.
Murray Lambell, General Manager, eBay UK said: “So many of us will have a special memory about Hamleys – as a child and spending an afternoon of play in one of their stores, or as a family visiting its famous Christmas grotto. As the pandemic continues to disrupt the high street, we’re pleased that we can give iconic brands like Hamleys another online shop window, bringing the magic of their experience in-store to reach the millions of customers we have in the UK and worldwide.”
Visit https://www.ebay.co.uk/e/home-garden/hamleys-magical-sale to browse the Hamleys eBay shop.
Notes to editors:
- LEGO, Scrabble and Monopoly are amongst the top 20 most searched for toys on eBay, with 13 searches a minute for LEGO (June-July 2020), as people ditch digital in favour of wartime classics
- eBay has been growing its branded retail offering, with initiatives such as the Brand Outlet fashion hub. Launched in September 2020, the Brand Outlet is a dedicated fashion hub stocked with popular designers such as Dolce & Gabbana, Hobbs, Calvin Klein and LK Bennett all priced at up to 70% off.
- eBay recently revealed that the number of new businesses joining the platform surged 335% in June. This figure represents the biggest year-on-year spike in new businesses joining eBay UK since the pandemic began.
*Data is collected over the two-week period leading up and including Black Friday and Cyber Monday (13th – 30th November inclusive).