SAN JOSE, Calif.--(RedLaser™, a leading barcode and QR code scanning mobile app acquired by eBay, Inc. in 2010, launched RedLaser 3.0, a newly available iPhone® app designed to be the ultimate comparison shopping tool just in time for the holidays. First demonstrated at X.Commerce Innovate conference, RedLaser 3.0 now combines popular aspects of eBay’s mobile properties together to standardize and enable the shopping and buying flow. It is the first app to leverage local availability information from Milo, PayPal™ mobile express checkout and RedLaser barcode comparison shopping all within one seamless experience. With the combined powers of Milo, PayPal and RedLaser, shoppers can now easily access both online and offline inventory, find the best price, purchase the item securely and either pick it up at a local store or have it delivered to their front door.)--
“We are proud to bring this technology to the market and empower holiday shoppers to confidently purchase whatever they want, wherever they are – at the best price.”
- Barcode scanning is becoming increasingly popular, with over 14 million downloads of the original RedLaser app. The company is observing continued scanning momentum from users leading into this holiday shopping season. As the lines between online and offline shopping continue to blur, RedLaser 3.0 empowers consumers to shop at the very moment inspiration strikes.
- It is the first conversion of Milo local, PayPal™ Mobile express check out and RedLaser barcode comparison shopping. By integrating Milo, local inventory can be easily accessed via mobile devices. With Milo added to eBay’s already robust marketplace means consumers can always find the best price. The demo video can be viewed here with additional information at www.RedLaser.com and mobile.eBay.com/RedLaser.
- RedLaser 3.0 is eBay’s first mobile retail partnership with the world’s leading dedicated toy and juvenile products retailer, Toys“R”Us. Users of the app can purchase this year’s hottest toys at the best prices and avoid the lines by picking up their gifts from the closest Toys“R”Us retail location that same day. More partnerships will be announced soon.
- The new RedLaser 3.0 application features a redesigned interface with easier access to scanning, searching lists and QR code creation. It also offers more pricing information for even better results and product coverage.
- RedLaser 3.0 also empowers shoppers to stay connected with their friends and family. With categorized shopping lists, you can now organize your products to create shopping lists, wish lists or gift lists and easily share them via Facebook, SMS and email.
- To get these features and more, consumers can download the RedLaser 3.0 app for free in the iTunes® App store. Users of the RedLaser “Classic” app must download RedLaser 3.0 separately.
“Train Up” for the Holiday Shopping Season with RedLaser
- eBay is inviting iPhone and Android™ users to “Train Up” for the holiday shopping season. The company launched a new video campaign series featuring barcode scanning expert, Redd ‘The Laser’ Laser. Redd demonstrates not only how to scan UPC codes to find the best deals, but also shows his captive audience how you can use RedLaser to find nutritional information, entertainment, and more.
- Redd is also offering RedLaser users a chance to win his RedLaser Holiday Wish List, including great prizes like a GoPro® HD Helmet Video Camera, an Apple® iPhone® 4s and more, plus $2,500 towards their own wish list.
- For entry, participants simply use the new RedLaser list feature to create their own holiday wish list and scan at least five items to add to it. They then click “share” right from the app and e-mail their RedLaser Games lists to email@example.com. The promotion runs from Black Friday (November 25) through December 23. There will be one winner each week for the length of the promotion for a total of 4 grand prize winners. More information and the training videos can be viewed at http://redlaser.com/games.
“This new version of RedLaser is a major stepping stone in the evolution of mobile shopping. Through integration with PayPal and Milo we can now offer consumers the unprecedented ability to research online and offline inventory at the same time and purchase their items with a truly seamless end-to-end shopping experience,” said RedLaser general manager and senior director of eBay Mobile, Rob Veres. “We are proud to bring this technology to the market and empower holiday shoppers to confidently purchase whatever they want, wherever they are – at the best price.”
“We expect this holiday season to be the biggest mobile and tablet shopping season we’ve seen yet. The lines between offline and online retail are blurring and we want to give consumers the best of both worlds by providing them access to both and online and offline merchandise all the time and directly on their phones,” said Richelle Parham, chief marketing officer, eBay North America. “eBay and RedLaser are at the forefront of mobile commerce offering a great selection of shopping tools for the holidays.”
eBay, eBay Inc., RedLaser 3.0, RedLaser, Milo, PayPal, Mobile Shopping, Comparison Shopping, Toys“R”Us
About eBay Inc.
Founded in 1995 in San Jose, Calif., eBay Inc. (NASDAQ:EBAY) is about enabling commerce. We do so through eBay, the world's largest online marketplace, which allows users to buy and sell in nearly every country on earth; through PayPal, which enables individuals and businesses to securely, easily and quickly send and receive online payments; and through GSI, which facilitates ecommerce, multichannel retailing and digital marketing for global enterprises. X.commerce brings together the technology assets and developer communities of eBay, PayPal and Magento, an ecommerce platform, to support eBay Inc.’s mission of enabling commerce. We also reach millions through specialized marketplaces such as StubHub, the world's largest ticket marketplace, and eBay classifieds sites, which together have a presence in more than 1,000 cities around the world. For more information about the company and its global portfolio of online brands, visit www.ebayinc.com.
About eBay Mobile
eBay launched its first application for the iPhone in July 2008 and has since become a leader in mobile commerce. Its core iPhone application, which is available free via iTunes in eight languages and 190 countries, has been downloaded more than 23 million times and allows users to fully browse and buy without leaving the application. eBay's portfolio of mobile applications have surpassed 58 million global downloads since the third quarter of 2008. The eBay app for the iPad® debuted in the top ten most downloaded free iPad apps in the iTunes Store and delivers a dramatically different, visually compelling shopping experience to browse and purchase the vast selection of products available on eBay. eBay’s suite of mobile apps, including RedLaser, Selling, Classifieds and StubHub, make selling and buying possible virtually anywhere, anytime. In 2010, eBay’s mobile gross merchandise volume (GMV) — the value of all goods sold — was nearly $2 billion. eBay expects to generate $5 billion in global GMV through mobile commerce in 2011.
RedLaser is a leading barcode-scanning mobile application for iPhone and Android and was acquired by eBay Mobile in June 2010. The app has more than 14 million downloads and is consistently a top three free utilities app in the U.S. Apple iTunes store. Scan a cataloged item and prices across Google, TheFind, eBay, Half.com, Milo.com and Best Buy will populate for comparison – along with helpful product information. The RedLaser software development kit is used by more than 170 licensees, including Coupons.com, TheFind, The Knot and shopkick and stickybits. For more information on RedLaser, visit www.redlaser.com.
eBay Inc.’s PayPal division has been delivering mobile payments since 2005 and has a mobile app for iPhone, Android, BlackBerry® and Nokia phones, as well as SMS and WAP-based payments solutions. PayPal offers merchants an easy way for shoppers to checkout on mobile websites via Mobile Express Checkout and mobile developers can use PayPal for in-app payments using PayPal’s Mobile Payments Library. In 2010, $750 million in payments were transacted over PayPal’s mobile applications. PayPal expects to increase mobile payment volume by five-fold in 2011 to more than $3.5 billion and grow to more than $7.5 billion by 2013. For more information on eBay mobile, visit mobile.ebay.com
All designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
Forward Looking Statement
This announcement contains forward-looking statements relating to the future performance of eBay’s businesses that are based on its current expectations, forecasts and assumptions. These statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding future growth in mobile commerce. Those statements involve risks and uncertainties, and actual results may differ materially from those discussed. Factors that could cause or contribute to such differences include, but are not limited to, consumer acceptance and use of eBay’s mobile applications.
View the next holiday press release.