Today, eBay, one of the world’s largest destinations for sneakers, sports memorabilia and trading cards, is celebrating sports culture and the career of a basketball legend by revealing the ultimate shopping event. Fans can head to eBay.com/MJcollectibles to find a wide selection of iconic and beloved merchandise spanning the decades. Further, in recognition of the 35th anniversary of the Air Jordan 1 sneaker - the iconic shoe first worn by the Chicago Bulls superstar in 1985 - the marketplace is launching a series of weekly sneaker drops that include new, retro and coveted styles.
The Best of Air Jordan
Inspired by the release of ESPN’s The Last Dance docuseries, eBay is offering a new type of drop. Sneakerheads can expect four straight weeks of grails, including early releases and a second chance to cop some of the best signature Air Jordan styles of all-time.
Drops begin every Friday at 9am PT on eBay’s social channels. Through May 15, sneakerheads can nab their favorite Air Jordans while supplies last. Here are the dates:
● Friday, April 17: Pre-release of the Air Jordan 6 DMPs ($200)
- Initially on the scene in 2006, the new Air Jordan 6 DMPs 2020 retro release is an homage to MJ’s three-peat championship runs in 1991-93 and 1996-98.
- Drop update: This pre-release is now sold out.
● Friday, April 24: Restock of the recently released Air Jordan 1 Court Purples 2.0 ($170)
- With the success of last year’s Purple Toe J1, Air Jordan hit us with the alternate colorway which was an instant sell out. Second chances are always nice with this drop.
● Friday, May 1: Pre-release of the Air Jordan 5 Fire Red ($200)
- The 4th retro of this iconic OG colorway, this sneaker gives a nod to the OG by bringing back the Nike Air on the heel.
● Friday, May 8: Restock of the Air Jordan 3 UNC ($190)
- In a throwback to his college days and first seen as PE, the Air Jordan 3 UNC was a sleeper hit when it dropped but now is on everyone’s radar.
Beyond the Sneaker Game
Beginning today, eBay is inviting fans to shop a series of events boasting a range of unique, signed and collectible Michael Jordan items, including inventory representing pivotal moments from the eighties and nineties that shaped today’s culture. There’s something for everyone, from fan merchandise and apparel to sports memorabilia and trading cards, and even Space Jam movie merchandise. Highlights include:
● An autographed and framed 1994-1995 Chicago Bulls #45 Michael Jordan jersey with authenticated seal
● Curated rare and vintage memorabilia surrounding the basketball player’s storied reign, including a 1986 Fleer #57 Michael Jordan Rookie Card
● A brand new, unopened limited edition Michael Jordan NBA Classic Collection Final Limited Away 1/6 2-pack RM-1082 figure set
● An autographed Spalding basketball
● Luxury watches, such as a Rolex Daytona Platinum, and other art and toys
Iconic By the Numbers
Additionally, eBay is unveiling new data for fans everywhere, showcasing how the MJ effect has impacted merchandise trends off the court. From the most popular Air Jordans on the marketplace, to the most expensive trading cards and collector items ever purchased and watches associated with the basketball icon, check out the top Jordan-related trends below.1
Head to www.eBay.com/MJcollectibles to check out the collection now.
1 Based on North American eBay sales data from January 2004 - April 10, 2020.