As the world waits for the anticipated iPhone 8 and iPhone X, people who are looking to sell their old phones when they upgrade to the new iPhone want to know how and where they can get the most money. How much is my old phone worth? Do people even want an iPhone 6S?
We’ve looked at sales data and how a release of this magnitude with a complete form factor redesign will shake up the electronics resale market. We know that sellers who are looking to get top dollar for their smartphone prior to the iPhone 8 and iPhone X release can make the MOST money by selling on eBay*:
- You can get up to $609.99 on eBay for your iPhone 7 256 GB, compared to Gazelle ($350), AT&T ($335), T-Mobile ($351) and Glyde ($214)
- You can get up to $710.41 on eBay for your iPhone 7 Plus 256 GB, compared to Gazelle ($380), AT&T ($360), T-Mobile ($370) and Glyde ($225)
- You can get up to $406.05 on eBay for your iPhone 6S 128 GB, compared to Gazelle ($230), AT&T ($205), T-Mobile ($135) and Glyde ($199)
- You can get up to $241.72 on eBay for your Samsung Galaxy S7 32 GB, compared to Gazelle ($140), AT&T ($130), T-Mobile ($116) and Glyde ($132)
“eBay is the go-to place to sell your tech, offering the most competitive pricing and a simplified selling experience. You can list your phone fast, and get it sold fast for a great price,” said Laura Chambers, Vice President of Consumer Selling at eBay. “Buyers will also be able to find a wonderfully broad range of inventory, at a great price.”
Past Trends Show Smart Selling
Our data shows just how quickly these earlier-model smartphones will sell on the heels of the iPhone 8 and iPhone X announcement:
- Last year, consumers were so eager to sell their old iPhone in order to have the cash for their new phone that an iPhone 6 sold every minute on eBay** and 6,564 iPhone 7S were sold.***
- In 2015, immediately following the launch of the iPhone 6s, the number of iPhone 6/6 Plus devices sold increased by 23%.****
- In 2014, nearly 652 iPhones sold an hour during the first weekend of iPhone 6 availability.*****
We’re confident that you’ll earn the most by selling your phone on eBay. In fact, starting September 6, eBay sellers in the U.S. who list an eligible phone may even be guaranteed a trending price if their phone sells.****** If it sells for less, eBay will cover the difference with an eBay coupon plus a $20 eBay gift card. With prices reaching close to $700 for some pre-owned phones, and selling made simple with a quick and easy selling flow, eBay is clearly the go-to place to sell your old phone.
* Data pulled as of September 6, 2017 based on used, locked Verizon phones in good condition and without accessories. Comparisons made based on color as well (iPhone in Silver; Samsung Galaxy in Black Onyx) where data is available. Based on comparison of Gazelle, AT&T and T-Mobile online sales.
** Based on U.S. iPhones sales data on eBay from 8/1/16 – 8/16/16.
*** Data pulled from September 16-23, 2016 based on new models.
**** Based on U.S. iPhone sales data on eBay from 8/1/15 – 9/30/15.
***** Total number of iPhones purchased globally between 9/19/14 – 9/21/14 (includes iPhone 4 to iPhone 6 Plus models).
****** Trending price based on similar items that recently sold or completed. Sale itself is not guaranteed.