Classic one-piece swimsuit sales overtake the bikini this summer
With the welcome return of the sunny weather and with the promise of more rays to come, Brits across the country have turned their focus to choosing their summer beach wear. Research carried out by eBay.co.uk has found that the popular choice for 2013 is now the classic one-piece as it has been voted the number one swimsuit of choice this summer, with over half (53%*) of us body-conscious Brits opting for the style. In comparison just 8%* of us would dare to bare in a two-piece bikini style and a tiny 1%* of Brits confirming they would brave it with a thong shaped swimsuit.
eBay.co.uk Fashion Gallery retailers have seen sales of swimsuits soar 80%** over the last month as the warm weather hits and holiday fever sets in. Following in the footsteps of celebrities such as Vanessa Hudgens and Jennifer Lopez, sales of one-piece swimsuits have shot up by 110%**, with sales of tankinis not far behind, rising 60%** since this time last month.
The research also found that over a quarter (26%*) of Brits only start preparations to perfect their beach bodies just a few days ahead of their holiday and over a third of Brits (36%) admitted that they carry out no preparation at all. So despite what your gloating Facebook friends are telling you, only one in 10 (10%*) kick start their beach body routine six months or more before hitting the pool side.
Swimwear map of Britain:
- Yorkshire ladies are the most daring when it comes to their choices in swimwear, with one in five (21%*) of those surveyed from the area opting for a push-up bikini.
- Women from Northern Ireland are the most conservative, with a massive 73%* opting for a one-piece style.
- The triangle/halter neck bikini is most favoured in Wales with 17%* opting for this look.
- A bandeau style would most likely spotted on Londoners with one in 10 (10%*) women from London choosing this option.
eBay spokesperson, Laura Wilkinon-Rea says; ‘With the warm weather setting in, we are seeing a huge increase in the sales of swimwear on the site with sales of the classic one-piece style overtaking bikini sales for the first time. The variety on offer from the retailers on the eBay Fashion Gallery at www.ebay.co.uk/fashion/gallery makes eBay the perfect destination for Brits to snap up all they need for their holiday wardrobe.’
*eBay worked with OnePoll who surveyed 1,000 people from across the country, May 2013
**eBay internal data
- eBay Fashion Gallery is home to over 100 fashion brands offering a range of fantastic products, from current lines through to lines with great discounts, including French Connection, House of
Fraser, Joules and Boden
- There are over 600,000 consumer sellers and 40,000 businesses within the fashion category trading on eBay.co.uk.
- Over 4.5 million shoppers visit the fashion category every month.
- eBay’s UK fashion business grew by between 20-30% in 2011 year on year, outpacing the growth rate of UK e-commerce generally.
- Over 600 dresses are sold every hour on eBay.co.uk.
- A woman’s handbag is sold every 8 seconds on eBay.co.uk