eBay, the leading online marketplace, has launched a new UK TV and outdoor advertising campaign, which highlights the popularity of mobile shopping on its UK platform.
The 30 second TV ad reflects how shoppers are increasingly using mobile devices to access the huge selection of items available on eBay. It features a young woman shopping on her mobile phone, ‘swiping’ items aside with her finger, and moving them closer and further away as if she were using a mobile phone. eBay predicts that around 30 per cent of Christmas gift items, available to buy on the site direct from its retail partners, will be bought via mobile.
The campaign is an evolution of eBay’s spring ‘ Your Shopping Universe’ campaign, which showcased the range of new items available on eBay from its 100 high street retail partners. Around 65 per cent of items sold on eBay globally are now at a fixed or ‘Buy It Now’ price.
Earlier this month, eBay president Devin Wenig announced a refreshed eBay logo which will begin to appear across eBay sites and in its external marketing and advertising from this autumn.
A version of the TV advert will include an end-frame that highlights eBay’s recently announced partnership with Nectar.
Amanda Metcalfe, UK marketing director for eBay commented:
“Mobile has transformed the shopping experience, making it possible to browse and purchase wherever you are, at any time of the day or night. This Christmas we expect a third of all gifts bought on eBay will be purchased via mobile. This campaign aims to show that shopping on eBay via your mobile is as easy as a few swipes and taps of your finger. But even if you’re shopping via a smaller screen, you’re still able to access the full selection of products available via our traditional site.”
“eBay is one of the most downloaded shopping apps globally, so if you’re selling on eBay, you’re reaching millions of potential shoppers. This is a significant benefit for our retail partners who can use eBay as a way to compete on mobile, and extend their multi-channel sales.”
The new campaign will run on TV from 24th September until the end of the year, appearing on all major channels during peak time viewing.
Digital advertising will go live on 26th September, including video banners on both desktop and mobile sites. The campaign was developed by DDB Tribal in Germany, with Carat responsible for media buying. Essence is running the digital media buying for the campaign, Add2 developing the internet marketing creative and Amobee is responsible for mobile marketing.
The soundtrack for the TV ad is Gin Wigmore ‘Don’t stop’.
For live news and insights from eBay follow us at @eBay_uk
Sign up to the Guardian’s Retail Technology hub in partnership with eBay by visiting http://www.guardian.co.uk/media-network/technology-in-retail
For more information please contact Ellie Marsh, or any member of the eBay team at Blue Rubicon at email@example.com or call 0207 260 2700
- Founded in 1999, eBay.co.uk is the UK’s largest online shopping destination, providing a platform for over 17m unique visitors per month to buy and sell new, unique and used items in a fun and easy way.
- eBay has around 60 million live listings on the UK site, with fixed price goods accounting for the majority (65%) of items sold globally and growing 13% YoY.
- eBay.co.uk receives around as many visitors per month as London’s Oxford Street.
- Sellers of all sizes, including 190,000 registered businesses and over 100 well-known brands and retailers use eBay.co.uk to reach the UK’s largest online shopping audience.
- eBay.co.uk is owned by eBay Inc, which has expanded to include a range of brands that help consumers find and purchase the goods they want. eBay Inc brands include eBay, PayPal, Shopping.com, RedLaser, Milo and others.
eBay mobile facts
- eBay mobile applications are available in more than 190 countries and eight languages.
- In the UK an item is purchased every second using the eBay app.