London—22nd November 2010 — eBay, a leader in mobile commerce and the world’s largest online marketplace, today released a new version of its main iPhone application that adds selling functionality and leading RedLaser barcode-scanning technology. The new app bridges in-store and mobile shopping experiences so that shoppers can scan to comparison shop across a wider selection of merchandise including electronics, movies and videogames.
Since the launch of its first mobile application in August 2008, nearly 30 million items have been bought or sold using eBay mobile apps around the world. The UK has seen the greatest adoption of mobile eCommerce, with 340,000 visits made to eBay.co.uk via a mobile app every day and more Brits shopping through the eBay app than anywhere else in Europe. UK shoppers make on average, one purchase every two seconds via eBay’s mobile applications.
Key features and updates to the app include:
- RedLaser technology: newly integrated RedLaser technology now allows sellers to scan a barcode of a cataloged item to instantly populate a listing or to easily see the best deals on eBay for the exact item.
- List items in 60 seconds: In combination with RedLaser scanning technology, repeat sellers can now scan a product and list it on eBay in 60 seconds or less. Also search for completed listings to see what similar items recently sold for.
- Sell One Like This: If a user is listing a similar item sold or selling on eBay, simply use eBay’s “Sell One Like This” feature to create a listing that is automatically populated with information like category and item condition – perfect for the casual seller.
“More shoppers are turning to their mobile phones to save money and time this holiday season,” said Steve Yankovich, vice president of eBay Mobile. “We listened to our 13 million+ mobile app users and we’ve updated our eBay iPhone app to be a one stop shop for all of their holiday buying and selling needs. We continue to blur the lines between in-store and online shopping by allowing eBay shoppers to conveniently scan products to find the best deals virtually anywhere, anytime.”
Additional new features include:
- My eBay ‘Quick View’: Home screen now includes a watching, buying and selling ‘Quick View’ for instant updates, as well as access to the member’s user profile including their feedback.
- Instant Access to Daily Deals: Get access to the latest hot deals across eBay.
- Quick PayPal Payment: Choose to remain logged in to PayPal for a seamless and quick payment experience.
- Saved Searches: Create a new saved search by tapping on the star icon or access your current saved searches from eBay.com. Customise when you receive alerts, so you can stay on top of when your favourite items become available.
- Reminders: Act as a to-do list for active purchases and sales.
- Choose Sizes and Colours: Select variations of one item, such as different sizes or colours.
- Pull-to-Refresh: Simply slide thumb down for an immediate refresh of any screen.
eBay’s updated iPhone application is available for free download in the iTunes® App Store.
For demo videos, visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NmQUEfZ3Fk.
For more information on eBay mobile, visit http://pages.ebay.co.uk/mobile/
Forward Looking Statement
This announcement contains forward-looking statements relating to the future performance of eBay’s businesses that are based on its current expectations, forecasts and assumptions. These statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding plans for eBay’s mobile applications and future growth in mobile commerce. Those statements involve risks and uncertainties, and actual results may differ materially from those discussed. Factors that could cause or contribute to such differences include, but are not limited to, consumer acceptance and use of eBay’s mobile applications.