The FROW at Fashion Week is usually filled with devoted high heel wearers but this season the trainer emerged as the go to shoe of choice for fashionistas during fashion month. Style conscious females are now following suit with a 98% rise in sales of women’s trainers on eBay.co.uk since London Fashion Week in February.
With sports luxe set to continue as one of the season’s biggest trends, Nike Air Max are leading the way as the number one trainer of choice on eBay.co.uk. LFW favourites, the New Balance 410, are coming in as the second most popular style sold on eBay.
Celebrity fans include BFF’s Cara Delevingne and Rita Ora who are both leading the trend for bright and bold over traditional white. Blue (+61%) and red (+54%) emerged as the colours of choice with sales soaring over the last eight weeks.
eBay spokesperson Laura Wilkinson-Rea comments: ‘Trainers were the footwear of choice on the FROW as bloggers and editor’s alike combined comfort and style by wearing trainers with anything from couture gowns to suits. This winning combination will see the geek chic trainer trend dominate for the coming season.’
Top 5 most popular styles
Notes to editors
eBay in the UK
- Founded in 1999, eBay.co.uk is the UK’s largest online marketplace, providing a platform for over 17 million unique visitors per month to buy and sell new, unique and used items.
- There are around 60 million live listings on the UK site, which has tripled from 20 million in 2009.
- One in two online buyers in the UK visits eBay.co.uk every month.
- eBay.co.uk receives around as many visitors per month as London’s Oxford Street.
- Nearly twice as many people visit eBay.co.uk every month than visit the UK’s four leading shopping centres in the same period.
- eBay is consistently one of the most visited UK retail sites, with around a 15% share of total UK online shopping visits.
- 190,000 registered businesses are currently trading on the site – up from 120,000 in 2009.
- eBay mobile applications are available in more than 190 countries and eight languages.
- Globally, eBay is predicting $10 billion of transactions taking place via a mobile device in 2012.
- eBay mobile apps have been downloaded over 90 million times globally.
- In the UK an item is purchased every second on eBay via a mobile device.
- The most expensive items recently bought on eBay mobile in the UK were a Porsche 911 Carrera and Land Rover Evoque both being purchased for around £40,000.
eBay for Charity
- The eBay for Charity programme has raised over £41 million for over 7,000 Charities since 2006
 Nielsen Netview March 2012
 eBay internal data (Daily Live Listing Count)
 Six out ten adults shop online (OECD report, The Future of the Internet Economy, 2012)
 London Oxford Street has on average 18.49 million visitors a month (Westminster City Council).
 Bluewater, 2.3 million average visitors a month; Lakeside, 2 million average visitors a month; Westfield Stratford, 3.87 million average visitors a month; Westfield London, 2.25 million average visitors a month. (Data from their own websites).
 Experian Hitwise August 11, 2012