Nation Psyched by Ant and Dec
Not only have Ant and Dec grabbed the limelight from the ‘Big Reunion’ bands in terms of downloads scoring their first ever number one this week, the pair have also rumbled their 90s rivals as their retro merchandise* is snapped up off eBay’s virtual shelves with sales rising a staggering 46% in the last week as sentimentality sets in.
eBay have charted the ‘Big Reunion’ original merchandise sales since the start of the show and the top 10 rundown now looks like this:
- Ant and Dec (46%)
- 5IVE (+ 40%)
- 911 (+33%)
- The Honeyz (+15%)
- Bewitched (+10 %)
- Blue (+2%)
- Liberty X (0% change)
- Atomic Kitten (-15%)
Poor Atomic Kitten are languishing at the bottom with a drop in sales by 15%. Will this be reflected in the chart this weekend?
Laura Wilkinson-Rea, eBay spokesperson comments: ‘It appears a 90s revival is starting to sweep the nation. Nostalgic Brits are re-living their childhood and getting behind their favourite bands.”
Notes to editors * merchandise includes: T-shirts, posters, CDs and mugs
eBay in the UK
- Founded in 1999, eBay.co.uk is the UK’s largest online marketplace, providing a platform for over 17 million unique visitors per month to buy and sell new, unique and used items.
- There are around 60 million live listings on the UK site, which has tripled from 20 million in 2009.
- One in two online buyers in the UK visits eBay.co.uk every month.
- eBay.co.uk receives around as many visitors per month as London’s Oxford Street.
- Nearly twice as many people visit eBay.co.uk every month than visit the UK’s four leading shopping centres in the same period.
- eBay is consistently one of the most visited UK retail sites, with around a 15% share of total UK online shopping visits.
- 190,000 registered businesses are currently trading on the site – up from 120,000 in 2009.
- eBay mobile applications are available in more than 190 countries and eight languages.
- Globally, eBay is predicting $10 billion of transactions taking place via a mobile device in 2012.
- eBay mobile apps have been downloaded over 90 million times globally.
- In the UK an item is purchased every second on eBay via a mobile device.
- The most expensive items recently bought on eBay mobile in the UK were a Porsche 911 Carrera and Land Rover Evoque both being purchased for around £40,000.
eBay for Charity
- The eBay for Charity programme has raised over £41 million for over 7,000 Charities since 2006
 Nielsen Netview March 2012
 eBay internal data (Daily Live Listing Count)
 Six out ten adults shop online (OECD report, The Future of the Internet Economy, 2012)
 London Oxford Street has on average 18.49 million visitors a month (Westminster City Council).
 Bluewater, 2.3 million average visitors a month; Lakeside, 2 million average visitors a month; Westfield Stratford, 3.87 million average visitors a month; Westfield London, 2.25 million average visitors a month. (Data from their own websites).
 Experian Hitwise August 11, 2012