I already have the eBay and PayPal apps on my iPhone and, as of today, the most logical addition of all of the eBay Inc. portfolio has been made to the Apple App Store. Skype for iPhone is now available in addition to Skype calling and instant messaging to any 2nd generation iPod touch with a headset and mic.
“Skype for iPhone will open up new ways for more than 400 million Skype users to stay connected and take their Skype conversations with them,” said Scott Durchslag, Skype’s COO. “Skype for iPhone is an experience that offers the same simplicity, ease-of-use and quality our users have come to expect from Skype, combined with an elegance of design and richness so loved by Apple’s many customers worldwide.”
You can learn all about the new app over on the Skype blog and at Skype.com. At the high level, Skype for iPhone delivers core Skype capabilities including:
• Free Skype-to-Skype calls from any Wi-Fi zone to other Skype users worldwide
• Call landline or mobile phones at Skype’s great low rates from any Wi-Fi zone
• Send/receive instant messages to/from individuals or groups via 3G, Wi-Fi, GPRS or EDGE (whichever is available)
• Receive calls to a personal online number on Skype
• See when Skype contacts are online/available to IM or talk
David Pogue of the NY Times and Carmen Wong Ulrich discuss how Skype can save you money on CNBC.
Also, check out this video:
GigaOm “Review: Skype for iPhone. Verdict: Awesome”
CNet “Skype for iPhone: It’s official”
Financial Times “Skype expands mobile push”