eBay, the online marketplace and shopping site, has revised its global m-commerce forecast, predicting that it will generate almost $5bn in sales volume in 2011 – $1bn more than the $4bn prediction made earlier this year.
The news comes as global ecommerce and online payments leader eBay Inc. (Nasdaq:EBAY) reported that revenue for the third quarter ended September 30, 2011, increased 32% to $3.0 billion, compared to the same period of 2010.
As more consumers use their smartphones for everything from price comparison to shopping, sales through mobile now account for more than 10% of all purchases on eBay UK and, globally, an item is sold via eBay’s global mobile platforms every second.
Angus McCarey, Retail Director for eBay UK, said:
“Mobile has fundamentally changed the way people shop, and mobile sales on eBay are growing in triple digits. As mobile continues to blur the online and offline commerce environment, our focus is on enabling all commerce by helping consumers shop anytime, anywhere and with any device, and by helping retailers keep up with technological advancements.
“Retailers need to think about how to meet the demands of the connected consumer, who will soon expect a truly integrated shopping experience that flows from their phone, to the shop and to their Facebook profile.”
• Founded in 1999, eBay.co.uk is the UK’s largest online shopping destination, providing a platform for over 17m unique visitors per month to buy and sell new, unique and used items in a fun and easy way.
• eBay has around 40 million live listings on the UK site, with fixed price goods accounting for the majority (61%) of items sold globally.
• Sellers of all sizes, including 180,000 registered businesses and over 100 well-known brands and retailers use eBay.co.uk to reach the UK’s largest online shopping audience.
• The eBay fashion Outlet sells products from over 30 high street brands at up to 70% off the recommended retail price.
• Over 4m shoppers regularly look for Clothing, Shoes and Accessories on eBay.co.uk. Transaction volume on eBay Fashion grew 30% YoY over 2010, outstripping the market.
• eBay.co.uk is owned by eBay Inc, which has expanded to include a range of brands that help consumers find and purchase the goods they want including eBay, PayPal, Shopping.com, RedLaser, Milo and others.
eBay mobile facts
· Over 20 million people have now downloaded the core iPhone eBay app across the globe.
· eBay mobile users are visiting the mobile website 10-15 times a day.
· 300,000 new eBay shoppers made their first eBay purchase through the company’s mobile apps between January and May 2011.
· eBay mobile applications are available in more than 190 countries and eight languages.
· eBay mobile apps have been downloaded over 50 million times globally.
· Mobile shoppers on eBay.co.uk have bought more than 30 million items through iPhone and WAP since July 2008.
· There are up to 380,000 daily visits to eBay.co.uk via mobile apps, and more than 170,000 UK mobile shoppers spend over £30 with the eBay mobile app per week.
· In 2010, global eBay sales via a mobile device more than tripled, generating $2 billion in sales – up from $600m in 2009. This is set to more than double again in 2011 to over $5 billion.
· Globally an item is purchased every second using the eBay app.