Sales of Prince William memorabilia up a staggering 12,491% on last year in run up to Royal Wedding reports eBay.co.uk
Sales of royal wedding related items increse in run up to royal wedding
With the royal wedding just days away it looks like the people of Britain are following the Prime Minister’s recent advice by ignoring the ‘pen pushers’ and getting ready to join in with the biggest nationwide celebration of a royal wedding for many a year.
In the run up to the Queen’s Golden Jubilee celebrations a few years back there was wide spread speculation that the event would be a failure due to perceived apathy and disinterest in the royal family.
This time round it seems that people are actively embracing and getting ready for the big day. Sales in the eBay.co.uk ‘royal’ category are up 132% year on year with Prince William leading the charge with sales of items relating to the future king up a staggering 12,491% year on year.
David Cameron will also be encouraged to hear that the nation has taken his “bring out the bunting” sentiments to heart – with sales of bunting having risen 168% following his speech at a PR Direct event in Harrogate earlier this month where he spoke out against petty bureaucracy that may have stopped the nation from being able to hold street parties by saying "I am the Prime Minister and I am telling you if you want to have a street party, you go ahead and have one.
The romantic engagement has also sparked wedding fever across Europe – a wedding dress has sold every minute on eBay since January.
And whilst retailers may be stacking their shelves with commemorative mugs and tea towels, the first quarter sales data from eBay.co.uk reveal all things classically British, as well as Royal Memorabilia, have soared in popularity over the past few months.
Here’s a look at where the Patriotic Pound has been spent:
- In anticipation of street parties on April 29th, bunting sales have risen 168% since the start of the year
- Flag sales are up 32% and eBay.co.uk is currently selling a Union Jack item every two minutes
- Sales of tea sets are up 40% on 2010 figures and sales of wine and beer making kits are up 58% compared to March last year
- The Royal Wedding has rejuvenated British passion for the Monarchy – eBay.co.uk sales in the ‘Royalty’ category have risen by a massive 132% year on year
- Items related to Prince William have received the biggest boost, up a staggering 12,491% on 2010 figures.
- eBay.co.uk has sold over 34,000 wedding dresses in 2011 so far, up 21% on 2010 figures. Even the Germans have been bitten by the wedding bug, currently buying the most wedding dresses in Europe, over 73,000 have been sold on eBay.de in 2010 – twice as many as in the UK
- Kate and Wills have inspired other UK couples to pop the question – eBay.co.uk sold 20% more engagement rings in the past month than over the same period last year
- Oasis may have split, but Cool Britannia is back – Britpop sales are up 25% on 2010 figures
- Traditional British sports have risen in popularity – cricket equipment has seen the biggest rise – eBay.co.uk sold 42% more stumps, bats, balls and accessories in March 2011 than March 2010
- Sales of croquet equipment are up 17%
- Tennis equipment is up 23% on last year, and currently selling at rates not typically seen until May or June
eBay spokesperson Ruth Szyszkowski said “The Royal Wedding has been a great boost for the retail sector, and we’re sure the Prime Minister will be pleased to see that Brits are stocking up on bunting, flags, and all things British to make April 29th a real day of celebration for all to remember for a long time to come.”
- Ends –
For more information or to speak to an eBay spokesperson, please contact
Shine Communications on 020 7100 7100
Sarah Phillips: email@example.com
Sarah Hazen: firstname.lastname@example.org
Aimee Taylor: email@example.com
Founded in 1999, http://ebay.co.uk/ http://ebay.co.uk/"
href="http://ebay.co.uk/">eBay.co.uk to reach the UK’s largest online shopping audience
eBay supports buyers and sellers by promoting the best value deals through Daily Deals, and the eBay Outlet sells products from well known brands at up to 70% off the recommended retail price. Follow http://consumerchoice.eu/uk/ http://consumerchoice.eu/uk/" href="http://consumerchoice.eu/uk/">http://consumerchoice.eu/uk/