The Great British ‘Shake Off’ : Brits most likely to shake up their style following summer holidays
Far from having post-holiday blues, Brits are going back to work with far more than their tans this year. A new survey from eBay which examined how people in the UK shop to express their personality and passions, found nearly a quarter of us are prompted to refresh our personal style by travels or a break, ahead of other key events like a new relationship or a new job.
Fifty-seven per cent 1,500 UK adults surveyed this summer are prepared to throw caution to the wind and consider themselves to be adventurous, impulsive shoppers. It is older millennials (28-35), widely considered to be the most cash strapped, who are spending the most to express who they really are.
And once we’ve come back to reality post holiday, shoppers are most likely to invest in putting their stamp on their home and garden. Forty per cent of Brits say they’d be most likely to express their individuality in their home, well ahead of those who’d do it through their wardrobes at 24%.
Beyond just reading on the beach it seems that more than a third of Brits collect books as a form of self- expression. And millennials aren’t as hooked on digital as we think. Books were ranked as the third most collected item by people under 35 years old, ahead of trainers.
Rob Hattrell, VP for eBay UK said, “We at eBay believe every shopper is unique. whether you are looking for something new, nearly new or used; or that special item to drive your passion for cooking, decorating or cycling; eBay is the place to find the perfect item that makes you, you.”
- 22% of us are prompted to refresh our personal style by travels or a break
- 24% of adults surveyed this summer said they’d rather settle and shop within their comfort zone
- 57% of us are prepared to throw caution to the wind and consider ourselves to be more adventurous, impulsive shoppers.
- 40% per cent of Brits say they’d be most likely to express their individuality in their home, well ahead of those who’d do it through their wardrobes at 24%.
- 30% of us are hooked on showing our personality through our culinary flair
- 35% of Brits collect books as a form of self-expression
eBay Inc. (NASDAQ: EBAY) is a global commerce leader including the Marketplace, StubHub and Classifieds platforms. Collectively, we connect millions of buyers and sellers around the world, empowering people and creating opportunity through Connected Commerce. Founded in 1995 in San Jose, Calif., eBay is one of the world's largest and most vibrant marketplaces for discovering great value and unique selection. In 2016, eBay enabled $84 billion of gross merchandise volume.