Revival of vintage, high-waisted jeans sparks a surge in sales of original ‘mom jeans’
With the return of ‘mom jeans’ well and truly upon us, the new trend has sparked a surge in searches and sales of original pairs of the unique style on eBay.co.uk.
The likes of Gwen Stefani and Keira Knightly have led the trend with the fashion pack and as a result the high-waisted, slightly baggy, ‘mom’ look has been sweeping the nation, with vintage jeans becoming the most popular denim choice this season.
As high-street brands revive the style, it’s clear that shoppers are in fact after the original item, with sales of ‘mom’ style jeans up 110% over the last month on eBay.co.uk.
eBay spokesperson Laura Wilkinson-Rea said, “Brits have been flocking to the site in order to find their perfect pair of ‘mom’ style jeans. Searches for this unique style have shot up, with eBay offering fashion fans a place to get their hands on an original pair of vintage jeans.”
Acid-wash ‘mom jeans’ seem to be the winning style this spring with sales rising 75%*, closely followed by pale denim, with eBay.co.uk noting a sales increase of 55%* since this time last month.
For more information please contact the eBay press office at Shine Communications on:
eBayteam@shinecom.com or 020 7100 7100
Notes to Editors:
eBay in the UK
- Founded in 1999, eBay.co.uk is the UK’s largest online marketplace, providing a platform for over 17 million unique visitors per month to buy and sell new, unique and used items.
- There are around 60 million live listings on the UK site, which has tripled from 20 million in 2009.
- One in two online buyers in the UK visits eBay.co.uk every month.
- eBay.co.uk receives around as many visitors per month as London’s Oxford Street.
- Nearly twice as many people visit eBay.co.uk every month than visit the UK’s four leading shopping centres in the same period.
- eBay is consistently one of the most visited UK retail sites, with around a 15% share of total UK online shopping visits.
- 190,000 registered businesses are currently trading on the site – up from 120,000 in 2009.
- eBay mobile applications are available in more than 190 countries and eight languages.
- Globally, eBay is predicting $10 billion of transactions taking place via a mobile device in 2012.
- eBay mobile apps have been downloaded over 90 million times globally.
- In the UK an item is purchased every second on eBay via a mobile device.
- The most expensive items recently bought on eBay mobile in the UK were a Porsche 911 Carrera and Land Rover Evoque both being purchased for around £40,000.
eBay for Charity
- The eBay for Charity programme has raised over £41 million for over 7,000 Charities since 2006
 Nielsen Netview March 2012
 eBay internal data (Daily Live Listing Count)
 Six out ten adults shop online (OECD report, The Future of the Internet Economy, 2012)
 London Oxford Street has on average 18.49 million visitors a month (Westminster City Council).
 Bluewater, 2.3 million average visitors a month; Lakeside, 2 million average visitors a month; Westfield Stratford, 3.87 million average visitors a month; Westfield London, 2.25 million average visitors a month. (Data from their own websites).
 Experian Hitwise August 11, 2012